Friday, November 28, 2008

The Meeting






On monday I went for my regular (boring as hell) shelving shift at St Peters Library.

When I arrived I asked my boss, Suzanne, if I could have a little meeting with her. My plan was to tell Suzanne that after I return from North America I would like to be cut off all future rosters at St Peters and Norwood. Why? Because they are terrible places to work. The only reason I haven't quit entirely is because I enjoy working at Payneham. And this was the focus of our discussion.

"So what are you going to do next year?" Suzanne asked me. I, of course, replied with a smile and said I'd be going to university. This was, effectively, my excuse to cut out the other two library sites.

"Well, when I get back from North America," I said, later on in the meeting, "I'd like to keep this job. But I was wondering if it was possible to work exclusively at Payneham?"

By this stage I was wondering if she'd cottoned on to the fact I hate working at her library. I actually started to panic a little - was I asking for too much? After all, I'm only a casual in a crappy library system that's about twenty years out of date.

Suzanne smiled and said, "So working exclusively at Payneham, is this because it's closer to Magill campus?"

Relief swept over me as an unexpected gift fell my way.

"Yes," I replied. "That's why."

Soon I will be free of St Peters and Norwood. In a perfect world I would only have to work at Enfield, Greenacres and Payneham, but alas, the world is not perfect.

1 comment:

kingy_55 said...

Haha but you're not going to Magill?!?!?!?!